First of all, I have to say this book really opened my eyes! Not only does it teach you how to look for the bad ingredients in the snacks you eat, it shows you how to read and interpret the ingredients on the labels. They start out teaching you about the nutritional facts panel on the labels of snack foods and how to recognize harmful ingredients. This "edible (R)evolution" started by Naturally Savvy will help you recognize and eliminate the "Scary Seven" ingredients from your family's diet. Here those bad suckers are:
- HFCS: High-Fructose Corn Syrup
- Trans-Fat: anything listed ‘partially hydrogenated’ or ‘hydrogenated’
- MSG: Monosodium glutamate
- Artificial Flavors: any artificial flavoring
- Artificial Colors: any type of artificial dyes
- Artificial Sweeteners: chemical sweeteners including Aspartame, Splenda, Ace-K, Saccharine, etc.
- Preservatives: Polysorbate 60, 65, & 80, TBHQ, Sodium Benzoate, BHA, BHT, Sulfur Dioxide.
I checked out my pantry and was shocked to discovery how many of these bad boys I had on hand, and immediately trashed them.
Unjunk your Junk Food goes one step further, by providing the actually name brand products that are not good for you and a replacement product that is organic/healthy. The only thing I wish is that the replacement products were more mainstream. Most of the ones listed are not carried by regular stores, only health food or Organic stores, and most of those are not in our area.
Still, the book is well worth purchasing. You will learn so much about the harmful ingredients you need to avoid to live a healthy lifestyle. You can buy a copy at Barnes & Nobles, and also on Amazon.com.
If you want to read a sample of the book, here's a link to the PDF.